Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thing#22: MOLDI

Full Disclosure:
I prefer audiobooks over print. I find it hard to sit still long enough to read a book so audiobooks provide me with great flexibility.

I'm surprised at how long the Overdrive video takes to download. It took longer to download than to watch the information. So I opted not to watch the help video and see how intuitive the process is for the end-user. People don't often read instructions, do they?

I'm glad to see there is now a Macintosh option for Overdrive. I don't see the option to search for materials that will play on a Mac. Not convenient. Not at all. I was able to explore a few authors and wasn't really impressed with the available items.

The idea of making digital media available for people to check out and use on their personal devices is a good one. MOLDI/Overdrive provides a "training wheels" service that just isn't up to the speed of many of our users, I think. And for users trying to use it for the first time, it takes a lot of time to download the software, find available titles, blah, blah, blah and it might just turn them off.

Question for the three people following my blog: Is there a service provider for digital media that does it well?

No comments: