Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thing#14: Thoughts about Web2.0 and Library 2.0

I've been pondering the concept of 2.0 for some time and how it impacts me and the library.
Over the last 18 months, I've been more consciously aware of 2.0 concepts.

Michael Stephens wrote about Librarian2.0 in the OCLC Newsletter. I think it's true that "Librarian 2.0 embraces Web 2.0 tools" because of the importance of collaboration and connections to our library users.

Three points that he makes ring true for me:
  1. Librarian 2.0 makes good, yet fast decisions
  2. Librarian 2.0 controls technolust
  3. Librarian 2.0 is a trendspotter
Making good decisions fast requires trust and experience on top of being willing to be wrong and not get punished for the error. Being able to quickly assess progress of a decision and making necessary adjustments is critical. I think learning quickly takes a cultural change. We used to plan and plan and plan until we had something 98% right. Not any more. I like the change to moving quickly and developing as we go.

Technology can help us do our jobs. The right technology can help us to our jobs better. Our jobs are about making connections with our users and the information they want.

Trendspotting is fascinating to me. I think the idea of genius it the ability to see relationships that might not have been seen before. Spotting trends from a variety of places and applying those trends to the library is an asset.

As technology and information increases in availability and speed, it's been important for me to develop a sense of what I can filter. RSS feeds are great in saving me time by putting all the information in one place. I have to learn when to "mark all as read" and start over. I remember when I first got a cell phone. I carried it with me everywhere. When it rang, I answered it regardless of what I was doing. I learned quickly that just because I had the phone, didn't mean that I had to answer it. I was able to silence the phone and leave it at home, if I wanted. It was very liberating for me to screen my calls and give focus to what I was doing. I am playing around with "screening" information that comes my way. TMI happens and I control my response to it.

No comments: