Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thing#7 Anything about Technology

That's a very general topic, isn't it?

For those of you who don't know, I knit in my off work time. In fact, I teach classes about knitting at a local yarn shop (LYS).

Technology has made it really easy for like-minded people to find each other and communicate. Think about it, 10 years ago the internet didn't offer the variety of items and ease in use. But now, if I need to find a knitting pattern I can do a search in my favorite search engine and BAM! in less than a second, I've got listings of patterns that are available. Cool huh?

If I need help understanding how to do a certain stitch in knitting, I can find a video on youtube or somewhere else that will show me what it looks like to do that purl stitch. This is really helpful because sometimes just reading the book doesn't make sense.

Technology also gives me a chance to find other people. I can search the internet for knitting blogs or knitting groups or local yarn shops close to me and be with other people and knit.

At the basic level, the technology that I need to have access to is a computer that is hooked up to the internet. I can find this at the library if I need it. A printer would also help if I need to print directions to get to my LYS.

I like being "connected" using technology. I share a similiar idea about the iPhone that Ridiculology shares in her post about technology. I don't need an iPhone. I want one.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Yay, thanks for mentioning me in your post!

I love to cross stitch, and I have found all kinds of neat resources online too, including instructions on how to take a picture and turn it into a cross stitch pattern (without having to buy the expensive software to do it). Yay for the interwebs! :)